Saturday, November 1, 2008

Making laundry soap and fabric softener

I am so excited. I made my own laundry soap and fabric softener, it was easy and costs pennies per load. I will be doing a happy dance as a walk past the laundry aisle at the supermarket. I now have to find a recipe for an all purpose cleaner to use around the house, if you have one please let me know.


Here is how to make liquid laundry detergent.

1bar soap shaved and melted in 4 cups hot not boiling water. I put 3 gallons hot water in a 5 gal. bucket, add soap mixture after soap has melted, stir. Then I add 1 cup washing soda, stir. Add 1/2 cup borax, stir again. Re-use a commercial detergent bottle and stir before each use.

This detergent does not have bubbles which are unneccesary and sometimes the liquid does not gel, don't worry about it, shake it and use it, it will still work.








Fabric softner

1 part vinegar
1 part baking soda
2 parts HOT water.

Mix water and soda, then add vinegar. Use a big bucket to mix it in, because when you add the vinegar, it will foam up. You just need 1/4 cup per load, make sure to shake well before using.

Add a ball of tin foil to your dryer to help avoid static in your clothes, or better yet, hang your clothes. I'm lucky to have a heated basement where I can hang my laundry.

3 comments:

Powell River Books said...

Thrifty tips are so good right now. I'll be watching your posts for more of them. - Margy

Margaret said...

Hi Margy,

This is the first time making soap and it really works great. The money I'm saving is even better.

I changed the name of my blog, can you see it?

Margaret

Nydia said...

Hello! Just came to know about your page via Margy. Loved your recipes, since they're exactly what I'm looking for, now that I live on a rural are a and I ined to live greener. Thanks for the tips!

Kisses from Nydia.