Saturday, November 1, 2008

Zesty tomato Salsa recipe

Well as you know I had a huge harvest of tomatoes, in fact I still have some. With such an abbundance of tomatoes I decided to make salsa. Here is the recipe.

This makes 12 250 ml (8 oz) jars or 6 500 ml(pint) jars.

10 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes, I used roma tomatoes

5 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers
5 cups chopped onions
2 1/2 cups chooped seeded chili peppers. I used jalapeno
1 1/4 cups cider vinigar. I used regular vinigar
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp hot peeper sauce, optional

Prepare canner, jars and lids. For more information please see:
http://http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general.html
1. large stainless steel pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce hear and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
2.Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove bubbles and adjust head space, if necessary add more hot salsa. Wipe rim, center lid on jar and screw band down to fingertip-tight.
3.Place jars in canner, ensuring they are compeltely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process both 8 ounce and pint jars for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and sotre.

I only used three jalopeno peppers, I was worried it would be too hot but next I'll use the whole amount as specified in the recipe. The colour of this salsa is not the same deep red as purchased salsa but I suspect the store salsa has food colour which the homemade salsa does not have.

1 comment:

Powell River Books said...

We tomatoes this year too, but we grew ours in a pot on the deck, so didn't get a huge crop. We ate most of them fresh but I did freeze a few containers to use in winter soups. I would love to try some canning but it seems a little scary to me since I've never really done it before. Maybe next year I'll get the equipment necessary and the courage to give it a try. Your salsa sounds really tasty. We love it, but maybe that is our southern California heritage. - Margy