Friday, February 20, 2009

Home made shake and bake

I love shake and bake. I used to buy it regularly when the kids were small, it was tasty and easy.

As my cooking skills improved I stopped using shake and bake and haven't cooked with it for years and I am committed to cooking from scratch, eating healthy and omitting processed foods.

I was looking for a new way to cook chicken from Allrecipes and came across homemade shake and bake, the recipe is here. I made some changes because the original recipe has lots of salt in it.






Here is how I made it:

4 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs, I used the crust ends that I save from the bread I make.
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground celery seed
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried rosemary

This makes quite a bit so rather than shaking my chicken in a bag and spoiling the remaining shake and bake I used a baking dish and pressed the mixture onto the chicken and used a little at a time. DO NOT keep leftover shake and bake if raw meat touched it. I keep uncontaminated left over shake and bake in the freezer. I'm not sure if this is required but it feels safer to me.



The chicken was delicious and can't wait to try it on pork chops.





Have a nice weekend everyone.


Margaret

3 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Margaret, that looks so yummie. I'm going to copy the recipe and try it.

Julie in the Barn said...

Thanks for this. I've copied it to save and try. For years I used the barbecue flavor Shake n Bake but it's pretty pricey and I resent paying that much for a little foil pack of salt & sugar. I'd love to figure out a homemade equivilent.

Powell River Books said...

I like your recipe. I would have a hard time getting the bread crumbs though. When I make bread the crusts are Wayne's favourite. They disappear even before the rest of the loaf. - Margy