Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Turnips

I thinned out my turnips yesterday with the idea that I would pan fry the little ones. I planted an early variety, Turnip Early Snowball. On close inspection I found they were all infested with
the cabbage root maggot.

Arrrggghh!!!^%)(*^$%!!!

Picture courtesy of http://www.gardenguides.com/pests/pestinfo/rootmaggot.asp

maggots on a root

Not much can be done at this point but if I plant turnips or any cole veggie, like broccoli, brussels sprouts, bok choy ect. I will need to invest in floating row covers so that the adult fly can not get close to MY seedlings to lay it's icky eggs.

Right now it sure seems like the bugs are winning...the only plants that so far have not been affected by some sort of bug are: all my squash plants, cucumbers but I did loose one to a cutworm, potatoes and tomatoes.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I am so sorry that your turnips have bugs I hope the rest of your garden does well.

Scrappy quilter said...

Sorry to hear about your turnips. We can't grow turnips here, they just don't grow.