Monday, September 14, 2009

Peperonata

Hard to believe that just a few months ago I was ready to throw them all out. I was having such a hard time controlling the pests, mostly flea beetles, but the plants made a comeback.




What to do with all my little eggplants? Peperonata of course.

In Italy, peperonata is very popular and every region has it's own version. This is how my mom taught me....

4 tablespoons of olive oil

1 large eggplant - for me that was 3 of my little guys.


4 green peppers chopped - I grew the ones you see in the picture above but they were pretty small added 2 large yellow peppers.

1 onion chopped

4 cloves of garlic, minced

4 cups chopped tomatoes - I peeled and seeded my own tomatoes

Dried peperoncini flakes or in my case 1 Jalopeno - I grew my own and boy was it hot..

Salt and pepper to taste.





Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, add the tomatoes, and cook for about 5 minutes, then add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally. If the peperonata is runny just simmer a little longer with the lid off.

I serve this as a side dish, or on top of rice, or tossed with pasta. It freezes very well to. My dad loves to add a tablespoon or two in his chicken soup, it's very delicious.


3 comments:

Betty said...

My husband makes something like that all the time but it has a differant name(he is Italian)I can't think what it is right now.

Scrappy quilter said...

That just looks so yummie. I love the recipes you post.

Betty said...

I just looked up the name of what my husband makes that is so much like your peperonata.It is the sicilian version called "Caponata"