Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Snack Cake

Well who knew there was such a thing as a "mix in the pan snack cake"? I didn't.. And you don't have to grease and flour the pan you say? Come on now..surely you're pulling my leg. But it's true, there is such a thing, here on earth, not in never never land.


I use my Betty Crocker's New Cookbook all the time but always skip over the cake section. I'm not a very good cake baker, actually not much of a baker at all. I bake bread, cookies, biscuits and every once in awhile just when the sour cream is about to expire I bake a sour cream coffee cake.


I don't know what happened today, maybe it was the gray, rainy and cold day... But I had a hankering for cake. Looked through my cookbook, decided that Betty would not, could not let me down when I read the "Double Chocolate Snack Cake" recipe, that required no milk or butter of which I have none, and went for it.



Here is Betty's recipe:

1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar if desired and yes, it's very much desired in my case.


1. Heat over to 350F.

2. Mix dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips and powdered sugar with a fork in an ungreased square pan 8X8X2. Stir in the wet ingredients until well incorporated. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter.

3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.



Devine...I let it cool slightly, did not sprinkle the powdered sugar, yet...I just could not wait.




2 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh that looks so incredibly yummie!! I can see why you couldn't wait. That Betty Crocker Cookbook is great. Hugs.

Powell River Books said...

That sounds simple and tasty. I have a favourite cake from my Fanny Farmer Cookbook. She calls it War Cake, I call it Cabin Cake. I started making it because it didn't require eggs. In the early days, we didn't buy eggs when we were at the cabin. Here's a link to my web post about it. I sometimes use apples, or carrots or even zucchini as a moistening agent. All depends on the season. Cabin Cake Recipe