Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Winter garden

I started some cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and broccoli seedlings back in late July for winter harvesting but in the midst of a heat wave, my seedling perished.

I tried again in mid August but this time in 4 inch pots which were a better choice for the unexpected heat we had.

This weekend the seedlings were transplanted into the greenhouse. The windows are closed, the doors are meshed to allow for air circulation but will keep the bugs out..I hope.

You will notice little tomatoes on the ground, I'm going to leave them, hopefully I will have some volunteer tomato plants next year.





Further to my winter garden plan, is to move the radicchio into the greenhouse, once the tomatoes, eggplant and pepper plants are removed. Then I will allow garden access to the chickens who will, I hope, scratch out the weeds, eat some bugs, and fertilize the soil. All while giving us eggs, they are really amazing creatures.




And of course the chickens were really good at keeping my grandson busy.



4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh how I wish we could have a winter garden here. Just too cold.

Margaret said...

Well I hope I'll have a winter garden...I will have to wait and see.

Lisa said...

Hi Margaret....thanks for checking out my blog!
I used the pattern here for the aprons! http://thelongestyear.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/02/post.html

I found it easy to use and I like that I can modify it a little if need be!
Thanks for your kind comments!
Lisa

Lisa said...

Hi Margaret....thanks for checking out my blog!
I used the pattern here for the aprons! http://thelongestyear.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/02/post.html

I found it easy to use and I like that I can modify it a little if need be!
Thanks for your kind comments!
Lisa