Friday, October 2, 2009

Oven roasted tomato sauce

I still have lots of tomatoes and last night I decided it was time to do something with them.

I'm really tired of canning and preserving and on top of all the tomatoes I still have pears to deal with but they're still a bit hard so I can postpone the pears until next week.

But today it's all about the tomatoes.

I searched the Internet for ideas and came up with Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce. I decided to keep it really simple. Basically a tomato salad but cooked. Tomatoes, chopped garlic,olive oil, salt, pepper and basil, easy and the sauce will go into the freezer.
So many tomatoes..
Cut the stem end and then cut the tomato in half and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
Sprinkle the tomatoes with chopped garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and in my case dried basil. I went to the farm yesterday but someone beat me to the fresh basil.
Roast in the oven, at 375F, for about 40 minutes, until the skin turn dark. As you can see I couldn't help myself, I piled some roasted tomatoes on home made bread and ate it over the sink.
Process the cooked tomatoes and all the oil and juice in a food processor or food mill until smooth.
Pour the sauce into zip lock bags, I used canning jars, and then into the freezer. I left a generous amount of space in the jar to allow the sauce to expand as it freezes.

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

That looks pretty good. I'm throwing the tomatoes we were given into the freezer whole. Then when I make chili or soup this winter, I'll throw a few of those tomatoes into the mix. Works perfectly!!

UFO's .... unfinished objects (quilt tops that aren't quilted). HTH.

Margaret said...

Oh I have lots in the freezer to and I canned some and I made salsa.

So many tomatoes...

The Hobbit said...

Roasting is the best,isn't it?It 's like adding candy to whatever you make.This is how I canned my tomatoes but did't put them thru the food processor.Now I can open a jar and warm up a baguette and eat the great taste of summer anytime I please.Great job Margaret

Betty said...

I will have to try that it sound very good.