Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Seeds

Almost time to order my seeds but I still need to finalize my list. This year I'm ordering from West Coast Seeds and if time permits I'll attend Powell River's Seedy Saturday. Two seed sources I trust do not sell genetically modified seeds.






I don't know all the science behind genetically modified seeds, nor do I understand the need for them. I'm sure that companies, like Monsanto, which some folks estimate control about 90% of the US nursery market, can offer up some very good arguments as to the whys and the becauses and the needs, and wants of genetically modified seeds. But honestly folks, give your head a shake, do not fool with mother nature, things grow the way they grow because it was meant to be. We gardeners just have to deal with it and make the best of it and as consumers we must try to eat locally and in season.

I don't want to be hypocritical and I totally understand that once we taste bananas, oranges and chocolate just to name a few, it's difficult to turn back and do without these little treats but...do we really need a tomato genetically altered to grow in colder weather by adding cold water fish genes to it?

Want more information? Check this blog, which has much more information on the subject and for more information on the evil Monsanto Company check this out.



No comments: