Monday, August 2, 2010

Beetus Giagantus

Common name...big beets. I tried some striped beets this year and they are very delicious and they don't turn your hands red. I only cooked the two largest ones and one turned white when it was cooked but tasted like a beet, very strange. I boiled for quite some time because they were so big, cooled them, peeled them, and then just tossed them in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.






...And don't throw out those beet tops, they are fabulous sauteed in olive oil and garlic. I didn't take a picture because I ate them before I had the chance...but trust me...fabulous.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you cook both the stems and the leaves? I have never tried this, but it sounds good.

2 Tramps said...

Beautiful beets! We just cooked up a big pot of beet greens - did them with some chopped bacon, onions, garlic, sauteed with the stems, then the rest of the greens, some water and chili flakes, adding a bit of vinegar at the end. Even Tramp 1 liked them - and they are so good for you, too.

The Hobbit said...

Wow those are big beets.Picked beets on the menu at the diner? You're right beet greens,so good and good for you too!Evoo and balsamic vinegar a cooks best friend,don't you think?

Margaret said...

I cook mine with the stem and leaf. I give it all a coarse chop and I don't add any water, I just use the water that clings to the leaves after I wash them. I have never added bacon but...anything with bacon is delicious and will add it next time I cook some and yes EVOO and balsamic vinegar are indeed a cooks best friend I use them all the time.

Yillie said...

I recognize that green bowl - I can't believe its still around!! Iolanda

Margaret said...

I love that 70s bowl, wish I had more.