Saturday, September 18, 2010

Frugal drink

My diner is supported by some wonderful customers. There is one customer that for some time would call in and ask that I put a large coffee aside, you see she wanted it cold. After doing this for about two weeks I finally asked her why she wanted cold coffee....

She puts it in the fridge and pours it over ice for an iced coffee drink.

Oh my gosh, I often throw out pots of coffee when we close. In winter I always pour a cup for my ride home but summer is too hot for coffee.







So now, if I have good leftover coffee when we close I pour it into a travel mug, add some vanilla, sugar and cream, bring it home, pour it over ice, stir and enjoy.





How fabulous! Especially with a banana chocolate chip muffin...recipe will follow soon.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Sounds like a good idea to me! A good cup of iced coffee is expensive here, so maybe you should add that to your menu. Sometimes, I think it would be fun to have a diner cafe, but I know it would be a lot of work also! ;-)

Powell River Books said...

I used to pay big money for an iced coffee at a coffee shop in Los Angeles that will go nameless, but there's one in Powell River out in front of Overwaite. I figured I could do it at home much cheaper. At the cabin if I have a bit of coffee left over from breakfast I get a wonderful lunch treat. - Margy