Saturday, December 18, 2010

Brown Sugar

Have you ever started baking only to find out you have run out of an ingredient? Now don't tell me...I know already! I should have all my ingredients ready before I start baking to avoid this very problem. Well smart I'm not so that explains that!



Anyway I was reading one of my many favorite blogs, Simple, Green, Frugal Co-Op and read a post about making brown sugar, it's dead simple! I made only enough for some butter tart squares and it turned our really well.


I added 2 tablespoons of molasses to a cup of sugar. Next time I'll only use 1 tablespoon, it came out quite dark.







Then I mixed it with a fork, which didn't work very well, so I used the best tools I have, my hands, and a bigger bowl, mixed for a few minutes, and there it is, brown sugar.






Give it try, it's really very simple and tastes just like brown sugar, actually better, it has more flavour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of this, but never made it myself. It is nice to see that is does work.

The Hobbit said...

I've done this with maple syrup.(the real stuff)it was light. I'll give it a try with the molasses.Feeling more like my memere every day!