Friday, April 20, 2012

A lad for the ladies...



You would expect a person who raises chickens and allows those chickens to hatch their eggs would have a plan on how to deal with the potential of having several roosters and chickens hatch. If you don't know, you can only have one rooster in one chicken coop. If you have more than one rooster they will fight to have control of the chickens.  Well it seems that a neighbour of mine has found a new way to rid himself of roosters, he just throws them out of the coop to fend for themselves. My heart broke when I found out he threw 3 out, two went missing in no time, one survived, a friend and I tried to catch him but to no avail. It would seem we have a feral rooster in our neighbourhood and I sure hope he makes it.



In the meantime I found out that said neighbour has two other roosters ready to be chucked but luckily I was able to rescue one. So my ladies have a new and very handsome lad in their midst, a bantam rooster. They did not even blink an eye when I placed him the hen house late one night, next morning it was just business as usual in the coop.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to rescue the lad. What a horrible neighbor.

Powell River Books said...

Except for all the smiles on the hen's beaks. - Margy

Paul in Powell River said...

Lucky lad! But your neighbour certainly isn't doing the right thing.